Saturday, January 18, 2014

Last Day In Belgrade... Last Day of 2014 Great Cities Study Abroad Program:

Well today marks the last day of Belgrade and also marks the last day of our trip. I have to say that it has been an absolute privilege to be able to go on this program and be a part of something with such a great group of people. Today all we did was have a little discussion on what we will be taking back with us when we go back to the states. When I was asked this, I knew exactly what I was going to say. I talked about how I was going to take away a greater appreciation for where I am from and that I also have a better understanding of how this part of the world really works. The one thing that I will be doing when I get back to the states is that I will be doing a lot more research on a topic that brought out so much emotion for me. That topic is the Bosnian war as well as the Genocide that took place in Srebrenica. I mean this was something that in my opinion was really swept under the rug due to the fact that when the UN came there to help those that were going to be killed, they did not know that the UN could only help “promote peace.” This struck a raw nerve with me due to the fact that once the UN was there, the Dutch troops took away all of the weapons that Bosnians had and then the Serbs came in and executed them. To me it looked like the UN was leading lambs to the slaughter. But like I said the other day, I was in tears after that tour and have never been the same since. So following that the lot of us decided to go out and explore the city a lot. Me, Morgan, and my roommate Ben decided to break off and go out our own way we decided that we were going to go out and get souvenirs for everyone, which we did, and after that, we went back to the hotel to pack. We are all going to reconvene for our farewell dinner tonight, and tonight we will go out and take Belgrade by storm for one more night of party. As for tomorrow, we are going home.     

No comments:

Post a Comment