Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year, and the Start of My Program

I was very fortunate to be able to celebrate the New Year last night in Berlin. I could not believe all of the sights and sounds that were around me. I went to a Christmas town that was only about a 15 minute walk from my hotel. I had walked to the town the day before just to see what was around and I absolutely loved the way in which the town was set up. As what seemed to go on for maybe a half-mile, I could see nothing but these little wooden shacks that in my opinion resembled miniature ski lodges that housed different shops. the shops had everything from food to clothes. I walked around for what seemed an eternity trying to find a place to watch fireworks to bring in the new year when all of a sudden I hear the chimes of a clock from an old church that had been crippled during World War II. I looked up at the clock and I could not believe what I had seen. I couldn't do anything but marvel at what was left of the tower. I mean it was a piece of history that withstood a war and was still standing and was able to ring in he new year. As the chimes continued I saw nothing but people around me in each other's  arms drinking, singing, and bringing in the new year as this continued the sound of fireworks started to ring in. everyone abruptly looked up and looked in complete awe and joy as to what they could see. The fireworks were going up into the midnight sky from the top of a shopping center that butted up against a corporate building for Mercedes. The colors of red, green, gold, and many more flooded the sky followed by the bangs that almost drowned out the sound of the chimes of the clock. The firework display lasted for about 10 minutes or so then many kept singing and having fun. As for me, I started back to my hotel when I realized that I could barely see for the smoke that flooded the city streets as more people were setting off fireworks in the streets around me. It sounded as if I was walking through a war-zone due to all of the pops and bangs that were going off around me. Finally I was able to make it back to my room and started to pack my belongings for the change of venue that I currently sit in waiting patiently for my group as well as my room to be ready for check-in. We start our program by meeting in the lobby tonight and then tomorrow we will be exploring what I am happy to call the great city of Berlin    

No comments:

Post a Comment